Governor Mike Sonko Mbuvi will face additional charges, the National Police Service has said.
In a statement, NPS through its communication director Charles Wahongo said that the service will prefer assault and other related charges to the governor.
This, Mr Wahongo said was because of how the governor conducted himself when police officers tried to arrest him in Voi, Taita Taveta county.
“During the arrest he became abusive, unruly and violent in an attempt to resist hence obstructing police officers from the lawful execution of their duties. In the process, he assaulted and injured the senior police officer leading the team and damaged media equipment,” part of the statement read.
Mr Wahongo also warned Governor Sonko supporters who were allegedly planning to cause chaos by demonstrating following the arrest saying that they should do so in accordance to the law.
He said that the service had been made aware that there were plans to cause mayhem in the city as his supporters demanded for his release.
“Additionally, we wish to assure the public that the matter will be processed in accordance with the law and Kenyans should remain calm and not be intimidated by social media messages in circulation.
Governor Sonko was on Friday afternoon arrested in Voi, Taita Taveta county and airlifted to Nairobi.
Orders to arrest the city county boss were issued by the Director of Public Prosecution Mr Noordin Haji.